View Single Post
Old 03-15-06, 12:13 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
nakota-he had to slow down?Hmmm,this mutt ran between the moving cars to get him at a redlight?This dog was the exception,but it makes my point;his significant injuries weren't from the bite,they were from the fall.Riders should make every effort to keep moving and keep their eyes on the real danger-the cars.
It is an extremely rare dog that will pursue a biker thru traffic.
I stand by my contention.The sort of bite you can get from a scruffy little mutt isn't a significant injury.The significant injuries are from concentrating on the mutt-grabbing pepper spray-activating it(wind)-and riding right into a car or a curb.IT IS A MISTAKE TO CONCENTRATE ON THE DOG;IT IS A MINOR ANNOYANCE.THE INJURY IS FROM CRASHING WHILE CONCENTRATING ON THE MUTT!
Now this is assuming the dog isn't a fighting breed with a large head and powerful jaws-pitbulls-Rotts etc.All bets are off with these mutts.I would still bet that a downshift with increased speed would be the safest play,but...
Increase your speed and concentrate on not crashing-the danger is from the crash,not the bite.Cars,curbs and humans kill adult bike riders-not dogs;the pepper spray is for the 2 legged predators.Your suggestion that riders should actively engage the mutts just isn't the smart play.They will end up bounced by a car-dead- while avoiding a 1/1000 chance of a minor bite.Charlie