View Single Post
Old 08-15-23, 09:05 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Best not to try to make a seal. And reminding you that the nut never did anyway.

The reason I argue against weather sealing rims is that with a lifetime of wet riding (including complete rim submersion) I've never had an issue with water, which evaporates out as easily it gets in. OTOH if you try to seal, it still won't do a good job keeping water out, and may do a better job keeping it in.
i find the "getting the water OUT" part is far more important than thinking you've kept some out in the first place... Case in point: the rubbery accordion Boots on V-brake noodles.. i never install them, and nearly always remove them on tune-up bikes that get cables done.... As i remove them in the wet season (7 months of the year here), Water inevitably drips out of the cable housings... most low end ones turn rock hard and useless within a year or so anyway... And some literally crumble when i move them, which makes removal Way Easy!

the best plan with the Stem nuts is to NOT install them.they Can cause damage too.. I've seen where someone cranks one tight with Pliers to the point of damage.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-15-23 at 09:17 PM.