View Single Post
Old 08-16-23, 07:16 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,033 Times in 671 Posts
My vote is for the Trek 700 series of steel hybrid bikes. But this is because I like tinker, swap and upgrade parts. Given that you can make these bikes into a drop bar bike or keep it with upright bars. Swapping parts and upgrading on these frames is easy because everything was standardized at this time. They take 700C tires which gives you lots of choices and they have plenty of tire clearance for big tires, fenders or both. And they are built strong. You could also get a Trek 700 series bike and just change tires. Giant has their Cypres series that is similar. And Cannondale has their H series hybrid if you like aluminum and vintage. I'd stick to the rigid fork for the look and feel that I think you are going for.

The reason for my hybrid recommendation is because in the '80's and '90's most road bikes got tight clearances and you cannot fit bigger tires on them. There are some that are more touring oriented, like the Schwinn Voyager. Miyata, Fuji, Panasonic, Trek and others also made touring bikes with the ability to fit bigger tires.

Check out the hybrid bike section. There is a thread for hybrid bikes by brand and model. Hybrid Bikes

Last edited by Velo Mule; 08-16-23 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Add a link
Likes For Velo Mule: