BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you did not ask me, but for that frame, it might work out. It's relatively mild steel. And it's not like you're losing much if one of the stay braces let's go at the brazing (or were they welded ?)
But yes, that's a lot of adjustment, and the more you open up the spacing, the risk increases for damage. I wouldn't fret about it in this case. If that's the wheel that needs to fit, then fit it in there.

You might end up with the chainstays so far out that the crank arms interfere, though. And I'm not sure how much experience you have with doing this sort of thing.
Ive been watching some youtube videos on cold setting forks. It would be great if I can make the 559 alloy wheels fit. If so I can come in under budget. So far $10 for the bike, $20 for the wheels, the tires will be about $50 with tubes. and I will need longer brakes so dont know if I can get the for $20. I might have to downgrade the tires to 16 dollars each and use the tubes I have. I think I have some cables in black that would look good. Its a heavy bike but I never understood whats the difference in a 180lb guy and a 20lb bike or a 160lb guy and a 40lb bike. The load is 200lbs either way and horsepower to propel it a given speed and distance would be the same. But I guess there is a reason for lighter bikes and all the money that is spent on them.