View Single Post
Old 08-21-23, 09:24 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfrance
Very nice work, with obvious meticulous attention to detail.

I'm not being sniffy - honestly - but the current quill stem extension worries me, security-wise. Leaving aside the contradiction that it's raised and combined with dropped bars, I fear you're risking a structural failure with it set so high, and with possibly little inside the steerer tube.

I don't subscribe to Sheldon Brown's slightly sensationalised vision of 'the death stem' BUT I've seen even shiny premium stems develop cracks from expander slots whose upper ends were squared, rather than rounded-off. I always round-off any I find like that, using a round needle file - a quick and simple fix.

I look forward to seeing the finished bike!
Fear not! The quill stem in this bike is long and is well inserted. It is a tourist bike and was designed to be accommodating for all kinds of people. If you look carefully, you can see the pen mark on the stem to ensure that it has the required depth (minimum 2.25 inches)

SR stem in my 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc

Another SR stem in my 1976 Supercycle Excalibur (nee Bridgestone)

Original steel stem in my 1956 Royal Nord President

Original stem in my 1972 CCM Turismo.
. Seat and bars level is what I try to achieve and sometimes change to a taller stem (SR made some great ones!) on my bikes to suit my refined and older riding style. For context, I have shown the original sales info, and a number of my other bikes of the era with properly inserted taller stems.