SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 918 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
I know little to nothing about 50s American bikes, so what is it that makes this Schwinn less sporty than say a Raleigh? Is it solely weight? I have to say the fork crown on your bike is gorgeous; and the brakes look to me like they might work better than the typical steel British side pulls….
It's also the frame angles. The Schwinn frame is more laid back than the post-war Raleigh Sports. The flat blade fork also is a little flexier than the Raleigh fork. It tends to soak up bumps well, but is pretty heavy. The ride is a preference thing - some people appreciate the more laid back ride of the Schwinn, but others don't like it because the Raleigh is lighter and more responsive. I find the Schwinn to be a great rider, but I also don't mind a little more weight and the laid back frame.

The crown on the Schwinn fork has a chrome trim piece that mounts under the crown race. It's kind of an ingenious bit of manufacturing. It's fairly thin and is shaped to envelop the crown while accommodating the brake bolt. When it's on, it fits tightly and looks like the top of the fork is chromed, even though it's just a trim piece.

The Weinmann brake calipers are indeed an improvement over the basic British, steel ones. They're lighter and more precise to adjust than the basic British ones.
Likes For SirMike1983: