View Single Post
Old 08-23-23, 12:07 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by BJack312
Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass with the endurance + casing (44mm). Decently quick on the road and can handle just about anything off-road except mud.
I have a pair of 44 Snoqualmies on my extra set of wheels (not with the endurance casing). They are good on the road and hard packed flat dirt. They are not good on steep dirt (up or down) or loose dirt. I haven't tried them in mud, but I would think they would be terrible. They have almost no tread at all. Obviously, choosing a do-it-all tire depends entirely on your riding conditions. My main tires are 47mm WTB Venture 650b. They are much knobbier than the Snoqualmies and fantastic on all types of dirt. Obviously, they aren't nearly as smooth as the RHs on pavement, but they roll surprisingly fast. If I were choosing one tire for everything, I'd probably pick something closer to the WTB Venture, but maybe slightly narrower - like a 42 or 44. I think the optimum all-around tire is pretty slick in the center with some amount of knobs on the edges.

EDIT: I should say that even the Ventures aren't knobby enough for some of the rides I've done. I bought a set of knobbier Schwalbes (Thunder Burt 2.1" and Rocket Ron2.25") that I may mount the next time I know I"m going to be doing a lot of riding in challenging conditions (more like MTB riding).

Last edited by mattcalifornia; 08-23-23 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For mattcalifornia: