View Single Post
Old 08-23-23, 09:15 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
The tires had been replaced before I got it with Michelin World Tour. They are very affordable and I saw some reasonable reviews. At 1 3/8" they feel great. I've got another English bike, Reynolds 531, from the 70's with the unlikely French name Jananou. It's got some beefy 27x1 1/4 Marathons which were my largest tires before the Royal Scot. I like the feel of these 26x1 3/8" and see why they were used. The Jananou is outfitted with two folding baskets in the rear and two panniers on a low-rider in the front. I can haul a lot of groceries!

This brings up a question I had for the group anyway. I haven't followed this thread for long, but I haven't seen any 3-speeds with rear racks. And there is no accommodation on the frame for a rack unless you double up on the fender mounting holes. Has anyone done this? Every time I put a rack on a bicycle I end us using it much more.
The Pletscher rack is common on three 3 speeds. The neatest rack is the one that comes on the Superbe. These two rather rough examples are currently at OneBrownsLane for refurbishment for a client.