View Single Post
Old 08-24-23, 07:28 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
The tires had been replaced before I got it with Michelin World Tour. They are very affordable and I saw some reasonable reviews. At 1 3/8" they feel great. I've got another English bike, Reynolds 531, from the 70's with the unlikely French name Jananou. It's got some beefy 27x1 1/4 Marathons which were my largest tires before the Royal Scot. I like the feel of these 26x1 3/8" and see why they were used. The Jananou is outfitted with two folding baskets in the rear and two panniers on a low-rider in the front. I can haul a lot of groceries!

This brings up a question I had for the group anyway. I haven't followed this thread for long, but I haven't seen any 3-speeds with rear racks. And there is no accommodation on the frame for a rack unless you double up on the fender mounting holes. Has anyone done this? Every time I put a rack on a bicycle I end us using it much more.
I just bought some Michelins for the Rudge, myself. This April, that is. They are N.O.S. and don't really say a model except for Sports. Even though old, they are are unused, so much more supple than the worn tires I took off the bike. I had never heard of the name Jananou.