Old 08-25-23, 04:23 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Guess I'm naive to think that it would be $40ish for modern ratcheting shifters that look good. From Rivendell, it would cost $94.83 to ship a set of two shifters to my address.

The Dia-Compe shifters VO sells are $63 shipped (plus tax) on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163138630379
There are still Shimano SL-R400 downtube shifters widely available and they are alright, but 8 speed index only (no light action switch). I found that limiting. Exage ones can still be found NOS out there and these are index and friction, but the prices may vary. They are good, actually. There are SunRace and Microshift options as well (again, Shimano compatible), but they are both just ugly. I guess if they can be given a grinding wheel treatment to change the shape, that could be some option. Dia Compe ones are perfect for vintage and classic bikes though. I know they literally copied the LD-4850 without Suntour logo, but I can't blame them for copying a great design that's not readily available any more. They also make nice looking brake pads for vintage brake pads (GC76AL and MX1000) and good brake lever hoods, so I have to say I like their products and appreciate them still making stuff like this. Now I need some company to start churning out copies of vintage seatposts in various diameters, not 27.2 only and also the nicer cranksets of the 70/80's era and I'll be very happy. Well, OK, I still need someone to make decent cup and cone bottom brackets in Swiss threading and with various spindle lengths
Likes For VintageSteelEU: