Old 08-26-23, 12:20 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Here is a recent NYT article that describes the author's take on the benefits of exercise that works for me as well, that does not involve special diets, high intensity or unpleasant workout routines, or setting arbitrary or unnecessary performance goals.

I am curious if there are many, or even any other, 50+ posters who identify with the author's take on the healthy benefits of incorporating their bicycling and other enjoyable relaxed exercise into daily routines for its mental or physical benefits without the motivation or expectation that it will turn back the clock on aging, or enable them to go further and faster, or as a prophylactic against disease.
How I Turned My Errands Into Exercise
Extract:
ILTB and others. I think my viewpoint is well known. Exercise-wise, I do what I enjoy. Right now we are going through some medical challenges with my wife, almost 86yo. This takes a lot of time and energy, as I am pretty much chief chauffeur, cook, gardener and bottle washer for both of us. Nevertheless, this morning, I attended a 1 hour intensive aqua-aerobic activity, which I very much enjoyed. I agree on using the bicycle and walking for all possible errands. My bike computer batteries all died a couple of years ago, and I never replaced them. I have no annual mileage goals, nor do I track anything. My weight is right on at 160, BP is fine. I have one "orphan" and one "rare" disease, both "unfixable", with which I live and tolerate. Yet, I still bicycle, swim and walk, along with a good regimen of stretching and resistance, along with trying to eat appropriately.

Still, I learn things of interest in this forum. I understand that others are quite different, and I applaud that. The world is made of many different types of personalities. BRAVO!! So, I participate to the extent I can and enjoy, and read other's perspectives on life with interest. If I was fighting and publicly disagreeing all the time, I would leave. Joe and I started this forum. I think I will stick around awhile.

Last edited by gobicycling; 08-26-23 at 12:23 PM.
Likes For gobicycling: