Old 08-27-23, 07:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
... One thing that is not mentioned is that if you put everyone's great ideas together on a single bike, they weigh quite a bit !

I'm going to test ride an almost finished setup later on today and I can see that without food, water or fuel I'm getting pretty close to 50 lbs for the panniers and gear, not the bike. I've acquired some lighter versions of what I already had, and added or renewed a bunch of other things, but I guess for the moment my style could be summarized as car camping on a bike. Just so many things I'm not yet ready to give up. We'll see after a few hills...

My body has lost around 10 lbs since the spring so I get the 4 panniers and handlebar bag more or less for free.
Then start out with 50 pounds. Next trip after that, might be 45 pounds, or might be 55 pounds.

My light touring bike, below:

My heavy touring bike, below:

The weight on the two bikes is pretty similar, although the trips and bikes and locations were quite different.