mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But not everyone takes everything others take. The coffee example above is an example. Several different approaches among several different people. As another example, some people don’t mind wearing the same shoes in camp. I rode across the country with a guy like that. I, on the other hand, like/need to have separate shoes for camp and walking around town. Some people take pillows. I don’t.
I am one someone with one pair of shoes. That was an issue on a 2016 tour when these shoes started to fall apart. Fortunately, duct tape held for a few days before I bought new shoes in Fernie BC...

No need for coffee either.

​​​​​​However, still end up taking a bunch of stuff so I'm touring on the heavy side still. Typically more than average repair/spare parts and a set of tech toys e.g. laptop and phone and kindle etc.

As far as the can't live without gear goes there are foundational items (e.g. rain jacket, tubes/patch kit/tools, bike clothes,...) that I expect everyone has... So my slightly more offbeat item is even when I anticipate staying in motels, I'll bring a lightweight tube tent.

All things being equal, I like finding a bed and a shower to sleep inside. However, I dislike having to nail down a set schedule of reservations too much in advance and ideally like to find a place as I go along.

So the tube tent and lightweight sleeping bag are a good backup for staying mostly in motels but keeping flexibility for basic camping as needed.
​​​​​​