Old 08-28-23, 03:03 AM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
This 1959 Schwinn tall frame came as a bike core to me - frame, fork, and chain guard. The fork needed a little straightening at the steerer tube. The Park HTS-1 can be adapted as a fork pusher in at least some instances (thankfully this is one of them). And fortunately, I had many of the parts in my bins, so I managed to get it back together. It has that classic 1950s American-made look: lots of chrome and stainless steel bright work. The fenders are polished stainless steel. These are heavy but comfortable bikes to ride. They're not exactly sporty compared to a Raleigh, but it's a little different take on the style of bike. There is still a little cosmetic work to be done here and there, but it's a good rider.

Beautiful bike!
I just picked up a basket case 1962 in a three speed. Its in addition to a 1965 and 1972 Single speed, all in 24 inch frames. I also have an earlier one in a 23" frame. Both fit me fine with the right seat post adjustment but the taller frame is best on longer rides.
They ride very different from a Raleigh sports, and are considerably heavier both in actual weight and ride feel. Neither one is bad, just different.
My 1962, 65, and 72 have the S5 rims, my 56? has S6 rims and stainless fenders, although there's not much left to the original fenders. I'm about to replace them with some new old stock chrome fenders I have until I get around to maybe fixing the original fenders well enough to use.
Likes For oldspokes: