Old 08-28-23, 12:21 PM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Why the distinction?
I've been riding mechanical gruppos for decades with absolutely no problems and I don't remember a failure that wasn't related to a crash. However, I bought a new bike not too long ago and decided to dip my toe in the electronic shifting pool. I found it to be a huge paradigm shift for me (pun intended). Mine is 105 Di2 and I love everything about it. It's 12spd so the gear spacing is pretty tight. That means it's easy to be in the exact right gear and electronic shifting is so quick, easy and precise that I'm noticeably more inclined to shift whereas with mechanical shifting I tended to remain in the gear I was already in unless a shift was definitely required. So, based on my admittedly limited experience with electronic shifting I'm not going back to mechanical shifting except for nostalgic reasons. I'm keeping my road bikes that have mechanical gruppos but any new ones I might get will be electronic.

Dirt is an entirely different matter IMO. I'm not sure I know why. It just is. That's not very thoughtful but it's the best I can come up with right now. Maybe at some point I'll change my mind but given the fact I just bought a new gravel bike and specifically opted for mechanical GRX over electronic GRX I don't see me changing my mind any time soon. Keep in mind I bought the mechanical GRX afterI bought the Di2 so I was already aware of how much I like electronic shifting.
Likes For Caveman: