Old 08-28-23, 08:24 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
A couple more upgrades -

I am experimenting with a truck/trailer box instead of the tote I was using. I have 3 of these for dry boxes on my big trailer. I'm not sure why I didn't think about using one in this application yet... In any event, it is heavier than the blue tote. However, it is a lot sturdier, the lid hinges (doesn't detatch - won't blow around getting in to the tote in the wind), and it locks. So it has some advantages. We'll see how it does. For in town the weight is fine. I am not sure about on a longer trip though.

I am in process with the wheel upgrade. I got the spokes laced and tires mounted. However, I haven't had a chance to true the wheels yet. I have to wait until I get the frame made up as I don't have a truing stand and no other forks to mount these wheels in.

As you can see from the side-by-side comparison - the new tires are massive compared to what I am using. These tires are also rated to 100 psi so I can crank the pressure way up and keep the rolling resistance down. That is one of the biggest issues with the original wheels - the tires are only rated to 35psi = squishy when loaded up. Around town and not going far it is one thing, trying to cover miles is another issue.

Later this week I am hoping to start on the axle frame section. I am not sure how long it will take to get through it, but I will try to get the majority of it done by Thursday night. We'll see if that happens.

The tires are 20x2.4. There were other sizes available, however when I saw they had the wide ones that were still rated to 100psi that was where I made my decision. Yea, smaller tires would have less rotational resistance, but these I can air down a bit and get much better flotation over soft ground. Then if I am on hard roads/trails I can air up and keep the ground contact minimized so as to reduce the rolling resistance when heavy. A lot of other tires I looked at didn't have the same flexibility there - narrower and not quite as high pressure (70-80psi is where they generally max out at, not the 100 these are). That doesn't mean I have to run that high of pressure, but even 50psi is higher than the 35psi the original tires are rated for. With the new ones rated to 100psi that gives me some good head room.