USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Interesting. I like the Alpecin story of building a team from a regional to Continental to World Tour, and delivering results at the highest level, by multiple riders. The team has the current road, CX, MTB (XCC), and gravel World Champions.
The story is great, and I do like MVDP. On the flip side, it seems to me that they got away with a LOT of unsavory tactics in the Tour (yes, I think Phillipsen is an ass), and I've seen some of the same over-aggressiveness manifest in la Vuelta. I'm fine with holding your spot and craftily slotting into a tight opening in a sprint, but muscling other riders into bad spots and closing competitors off into the barriers reeks of poor sportsmanship. What Alpecin did in the Tour was, imo, very much worse than what Sagan got DQ'd for when Cav tried to squeeze past him. Sagan reflexively raised his elbow to maintain his own position, whereas Alpecin appeared to knowingly and deliberately pull off into the line of competitors to cause them to hit the brakes, and Phillipsen used the excuse of following lines on the road rather than the direction of the barriers to cut others off from challenging, pulled directly in front of a rider during an intermediate sprint...AND then, whilst being unassailably ahead in points, had the audacity to whine when riders on other teams wouldn't help him pull back breakaways. I haven't seen Groves do anything wrong himself, but I've observed his leadouts knocking other teams out of position in the final 5k. Makes it really hard to like them.