Old 08-30-23, 05:07 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I picked up a 1988 Ironman Carbon frameset with crankset and derailleurs last week, for a "parts bin build"*. From the ad:

He handed me a bag with a Tricolor RD, 105 FD and a 42 chainring. I didn't notice that the left crank was some mid-level MTB part, not even a close match, so that challenge remains.

Partial build:

Rear wheel stolen from my '89 Circuit; I've since found a 32-spoke wheel with a 105 hub and Araya rim. Front is a 600 hub / Matrix rim from a Trek I bought earlier. I only have one Tricolor brake, so I installed a pair of dual-pivot Ultegras. As expected, I did not have a 25.0mm seat post on hand. I do have a 24.0 from one of those internally-lugged Carbolite 103 Peugeots from 1980; shimmed it with a yogurt tub for the shakedown.

Def''ly light and fast, "feels faster" than my Circuit or my '86 IM.

Will I get used to the squirrely front end? I mean, I can make the frame flex just by pulling the handlebar left/right. Standing on a curving ascent was.... anxious. Does that sensation pass after a while? The back end feels solid / stable underneath me, it's just the front end that feels like its in two places at once.

More pics after I install a seat post, coming Wednesday courtesy of Insidious C. (thanks man).

* (Okay, "parts pile" is more like it....)
I have the same bike and had to shelve it because the glue came undone at the head tube. Sucks 😞. So that squirrel that is yelling at at you might be a dire warning. Sorry to be the bearer of cautionary news. I have contemplated trying some sort of drill and pin situation..