Old 08-31-23, 07:06 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3216 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,060 Posts
I don’t get what’s going on with the question. Is there an option to run something other than 23s? If so, I’d suggest doing it regardless of whether or not the 23s can take the pressure required for the combined 280lbs. Aside from cost to acquire wider-than-23mm tires, there’s not going to be a downside in this application to running, say, 28mm or 32mm rubber.

In fact, i’d say sizing up will confer benefits in comfort, handling, and durability. Reducing the pressure will reduce the casing tension and allow the tire components to flex more before they break, giving them more puncture resilience.

I mean, is the thinking here that a skinner tire has less likelihood of hitting a thorn than the current 40mm tires? That could be true— I dunno, but it doesn’t sound crazy— but I do think going to 23 is too extreme, and the risk reduction compared to a 28mm is probably nil. Other puncture mitigation devices, like resistant tires and tubes, or moving to tubeless, are going to be more effective in eliminating flat hassles than tire width downsizing.
Likes For chaadster: