View Single Post
Old 08-31-23, 08:58 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
It stopped just shy of 100°F week ago yesterday where I am, after several days just before as well as earlier in August above 90°F for the daily high. About 2" TOTAL rainfall since Fathers Day in June, maybe 1-1/2" since Mothers Day the month prior. That's about 12 - 13" below normal for this region, we're in a "severe drought" condition according to the NWS:

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/...ent_wi_trd.png

It's been pleasant enough for the season since last weekend, getting some things done outside that weren't possible with the higher temps earlier. Forecast - no mention of rain - has us looking at 92 Saturday, 96 Sunday, 95 on Labor Day, then a slow drop over the next three days to something more like what September historically brings to this region.

Literally nobody I've talked to who's lived here longer than me (be nine years the end of this month) can recall a drier year than this one. Farmers are telling me they're paying three to five times what they used to buy hay for their livestock (this is beef and dairy country) than in prior years because the dry weather has made hay yields less than 15% what they've been in previous years.

Hotter years? Yes, but there's always been rain from time to time, enough to keep things rooted to the earth alive. I'm watering the three trees in my yard monthly just to help them survive the coming winter months. I won't water my lawn. The costs for water from the city service to my thinking are a small enough fraction of what it would cost me to have even one of the two largest trees removed if one or both don't survive this prolonged drought.

Last edited by spclark; 08-31-23 at 09:02 AM.