Old 09-01-23, 08:33 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
'

At what distance? 20-40 miles, I believe you. 80-100, I don't.
Haven't ridden more than 100km yet this year. Over the last few years I've done several multi-day 100+ km days. One of them involved 4000m of climbing over the 3 days and I literally ate 1000 calorie suppers those days. Computer said I burned north of 5k calories each day, eating only 1000 calories at the end of the day. I planned on eating more but could not get more in.

Last year I did our local Fondo event: 94km day 1, 100km day 2, 60km day 3. Day 2 included a 400m timed sprint at ~ km 60 and a 1km hill climb ~ km 75. I did the thing on a fatbike (28T chainring) and didn't come in last in any category for my age group. Not even the 400m sprint where I averaged 30km/h. I was going to do the 150 Gran Fondo but the wind was 45+ km/h for the 1st half of that route and I determined I could not make the time cutoff with that kind of headwind so I dropped down to the 100km ride.

Trying to work through my arthritis in my right knee (lost 2cm off that leg in the 80s) and my spine and various soft tissue problems from a couple of collisions (2019 and a few weeks ago) to get longer distances in. I was expecting to be up to 160km rides by this time but I keep dealing with set backs... it would be nice to not get hit by a another car for a long while...

The week after my latest collision, I did this ride: Dusty Red Gravel Grinder. It was a hard ride considering I fell down the front steps taking the bike to the car and smashed my spine into the steps. My feet came right out front under me on the wet landing - bike in my hands nothing to break my fall.

So with any luck I will be into and past those distances in the spring. All fasted, like all my riding and other exercises, as I only eat in the evening. Nothing all day but water and electrolytes.

Last edited by Bearhawker; 09-01-23 at 08:37 AM.