Old 09-01-23, 09:48 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Denoios
Hello!

I have an issue with my brand new gravel bike.
I ordered a Cannondale Topstone 1 with a Shimano GRX system. The bike was delivered by mail and once unpacked and gone for a ride I noticed, that the chain rubs on the front derailleur when in the topmost gear.
So I set it up again, reseated the cable, adjusted the tension, adjusted the H/L screws and all according to Shimanos manual (see 'Shimano GRX 810 front derailleur manual' on Google, first result - I sadly couldn't post the link).
Then after installing everything according to the manual, the topmost gear was rubbing intesively on the outer side of the cage.

Well, I thought, maybe something is incompatible here.
I'd rather be able to use the topmost gear than the lowest gear on the largest chainring. So I adjusted the H screw accordingly to stop it from rubbing against the cage.
But I couldn't. Through one chain rotation the chain sways from left to right by roughly 4mm, making it rub on the left side at one point and on the right side at another point.

My questions now:
Has someone of you ever encountered this and is there something I can (or should) do?
Or should I rather go to the dealer and return the bike?
Do you have an idea what the reason could be?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best Regards,
Daniel
You mean 1 rotation of the chainring right?

That much 'wobble' in the chainring seems excessive for a new crankset.

Does it seem that there is excessive play between crank/bottom bracket and the BB shell?