View Single Post
Old 09-02-23, 11:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Old thread but I’m looking through old 720 threads as one has come into our household.

This isn’t true about the seat tube logo, is it? the 83 in my possession has a decal for sure, it’s not paint.

And yes, a bottle cage under the down tube was a really odd choice, considering there isn’t one on the seat tube. I really wouldn’t be surprised if maintaining the logo was the idea behind that.
From what I've ascertained it is because the frame pump went there (along the seat tube). Touring bikes adopted the second bottle cage on the underside of the down tube, which makes sense when one believes the seat tube is for the pump. By the mid-'80s we saw the pump peg on the head tube / upper head lug as a second bottle cage was added to non-touring bikes. So yeah, it does seem weird, and it's present on my '82 720, but I like it since I get the two bottle capacity while also having a frame pump in a place that allows me to shoulder the bike up and down stairs easily.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: