View Single Post
Old 09-06-23, 06:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 4,172 Times in 2,793 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Chain waxing is a fad. It's unnecessary. A chain is the most disposable item on a bicycle and there is no need for any complicated maintenance. Just few drops of oil now and then and that's it.
How so?

A fad is something that comes and goes, people having been waxing chains for a long time. Our mechanic who had worked for the company over 30 years had been waxing his chains for probably about close to that same amount of time. It was never a fad for him but a good way to keep his chain clean and ready for his daily commute.

I get that it has gotten more popular these days but I have always known it as an old school chain care routine not some fad that is here today, gone tomorrow. Mostly I have always heard about old school mechanics from back in the day doing it.