View Single Post
Old 09-07-23, 07:26 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Russ Roth did a pretty good job explaining the process.
Here's the process:
Originally Posted by Russ Roth

Learning how to lightly drip on a good lube, let it soak for a minute and then wipe off the extra will keep your drivetrain fairly clean.
I get it... add light amount of lube, wait a minute, wipe off excess. This describes the exact chain lubrication process that I've been using for 30 years, but you're skipping the part where I also clean the chain and cassette with solvents (either by removing and soaking, or scrubbing them on the bike) every few weeks.

Wet lube attracts dirt. If all you're doing is adding more wet lube (even assuming a proper amount and wiping off the excess), it's dirty from the start. Look at the rag you use to wipe off the excess from your "clean" chain. It's dirty. A wet lubed chain will continue to attract more dirt as you ride, and it'll stick to the cassette, chain ring and pully gears as well. Adding more lube doesn't clean any of that off, so you'll eventually need to clean it. How often depends on how diligent you are about wiping off the excess (and wiping down your chain after every ride), but if you repeat this process of re-lubing and wiping over and over without cleaning it'll eventually become a problem. Pretending that there is some magical process that avoids this is silly.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Without a doubt the wax is cleaner
100% agree.
Likes For msu2001la: