Old 09-07-23, 07:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Why tell OP to live like a bum?

Personally, I would do it in 2 months not 4 months and my costs today would be around $7500-8000 because I do like sleeping in a bed more than in a tent and I am getting that fifth piece of pie.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1.

t's easier to spout inapt ideas rather than it is to think about what is really being asked and respond with useful suggestions.
The OP specificall said they planned to camp and get a room maybe twice a week/ They mentioned inexpensive rooms. They mentioned free legail camping, but weren't confident about it. Most likely that lack of confidence is just a lack of experience with it. A trip on the TA using ACA maps to stay in free places at least a portion of the time will develope that confidence.

I think you meet the local folks and get more in tune with the local culture if you camp than if you get rooms all the time. Same for meeting and getting to know other riders going the same way.

As far as how long it takes... 10 weeks is a pretty common number, but people go faster or slower. We did it is 73 days and it was a pretty "normal" pace for a lot of riders. 12 weeks is really taking it pretty easy. 4 months would be really taking it easy of taking a lot of days off. The mention of 2 months... That is a fairly hard pace. We didn't meet many who were managing that pace when we were on the TA, a few, but not many. I think I did the ST at a pace that would allow finishing the TA in 2 months, but the TA has a lot more hard mountain passes so I don't think I'd have been able to do it in 2 months without really training and a hard effort.

I have often heard a recommendation of allowing 10-12 weeks. If you have the luxury of a flexible schedule that is a good range to shoot for for most folks. Having that flexibility is a great idea and makes the trip more enjoyable. I like to start at the farther away coast and ride toward home so that air travel is out of the way up front. That way I don't have to have a fixed date to fly home. That may not work if you don't live near either coast.
Likes For staehpj1: