View Single Post
Old 09-08-23, 07:04 PM
Yanto

Bikes: Giant Escape RX, Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Yes, it is better to ride a fixed gear bike with some sort of foot retention, such as toe clips and straps or clipless pedals. This permits you to apply force to the pedals both when pushing down and pulling up with you feet, and it also ensures that your feet don’t come off the pedals. This is really not necessary with a freewheel equipped bike, either multi-speed like your Giant hybrid or on a single speed. On a fixed gear you can slow down by applying backwards pressure to the pedals, which is called backpedaling. Of course, the bike is still moving forward, but you are pushing the bike backwards. Still, you cannot slow a fixed gear by backpedaling nearly as fast as you can on a bike with brakes, so in an emergency where you have to stop quickly in a short distance, you might have an accident. So, on all my fixed gear bikes which I ride on the road, I have both foot retention and a front brake for safety. If you don’t want to use foot retention, then you will be better served by getting a single speed bicycle with both front and rear brakes.
Perfect. Thanks. I’m realising that there is a big community over here for fixed gear/single speed bikes. Lots of custom models. Really cool looking bikes.
I’m wondering if a bike with flip flop rear hun might be a good option? Best of both worlds so to speak?