View Single Post
Old 09-09-23, 02:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18540 Post(s)
Liked 15,907 Times in 7,468 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I take a battery pack. It is relatively small, about the size of a portable hard drive, and use it to charge the phone. The one I have can charge my phone four times. I charge it at camp grounds. I also plug in the phone or battery pack in restaurants if I stop to eat. I also generally keep my phone off, or in airplane mode while riding, unless using to check email, or a map. I use Wikicamp to find campgrounds, and also as a map. The maps are downloaded to the phone, and can be used with GPS alone with the phone in airplane mode.

Generally speaking, there is no real need to have most electronics on while riding. I have found this works well for me. No need to overthink. Most campgrounds have sites with electricity. I have also used electrical outlets in pavilions in campgrounds. One campground actually offered me a campsite next to a pavilion so I could use the outlets. I am not too worried about leaving a battery pack alone on charge, so it works well. I would not leave a phone unattended though.
What if you’re on BLM land for 14 days with only 10 lbs. of peanut butter?

But for anyone serious who who might read this thread…Yes. A couple of years ago I got a 30,000 whatever the units are external battery as swag at a company meeting. I keep my iPhone in airplane and low battery modes while riding and sleeping so as not to waste power. The external battery is great. Charges the phone quickly several times during a two-week tour. And, like you, I have no problem leaving it (rather than the phone itself) somewhere like a campground bathroom to top it off.

I’m a relatively low tech person. I still make paper cue sheets for trips and use a CatEye computer. If I can solve the “problem” posed, anyone can.
Likes For indyfabz: