View Single Post
Old 09-11-23, 06:37 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 160 Posts
Legs cramping before they're tired.

This is killing me. I can NOT figure out what's going on. This year, I've been fighting cramps like never before. I realize that getting older - turned 55 in June - comes with lots of general changes/breakdowns, etc. But this seems like a switch flipped.

Background:
- 6'0, 175lbs
- been ridding for 50 years (really)
- raced off and on since I was 12 - never higher than Cat2 mtb
- I'm that typical "club fast" guy who can hang on most group rides... but wouldn't stand a chance in an actual road race above Cat 4 ;-)

Recently - past two months - my legs have been cramping BAD after 2 hours or so. I mean bad like standing on the side of the road doing lamaze breathing thinking my hamstring is going to tear itself off the bone. Also, not just my hamstrings. 5 weeks ago, I had both quads and one hamstrings conducting a symphony of cramps while I used the bike to balance. You could see the waves running through my quads. It was quite entertaining... for my buddies who stood by. (one of the guys went full Mr. Miyagi and kneaded my hamstring and got it to settle down)

I've been reading articles on hydration, magnesium, potassium, electrolytes... I've changed a lot with my pre-ride (including the day before) diet and fluid intake. I've started using electrolyte tablets, switched to Skratch powder... I make sure to start the ride "topped off', drink 24 oz/hr, etc, etc...

There's been some improvement. Maybe. But I feel like I'm missing something. Like, it shouldn't be this bad this soon. Saturday marked my first ever DNF in a mtn bike race. 2-hours in, one hamstring just imploded. That kind of cramp where there's no "pushing through it." I was simply unable to control my leg. I was done for the day.

The odd part is that the cramps hit HARD with very little warning and before my legs are tired. Earlier this summer, I would've said it happens without any warning. But there is a warning. Just before my hamstrings - either one - goes, my leg feels vaguely loose or numb. Then, within 30 seconds - BAM! the cramp hits. Saturday, I felt that sensation, coasted to a stop, unclipped just before it hit.

If any of you guys have had similar experiences could direct me to some good research, articles, witch doctors...

Thanks!

Last edited by Zaskar; 09-11-23 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For Zaskar: