View Single Post
Old 09-14-23, 11:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
How long between times when you can charge things from an outlet? A few days? Over a week? Over a month?

A few days, get a power bank. More than a few days but under a week, get two. Maybe three.

Longer trips, Gauvins and Happy Feet (he appears to have stopped posting on this forum) were happy with solar panels.

I use a dynohub. I used to use Sinewave Revolution to convert the dynohub output to USB power, but now use a Cycle2Charge.

Here is a post that Happy Feet wrote.
What's the most reliable hardware choices?

I did a two week tour in April this year, was fully self sufficient with a dynohub and USB charger (the Cycle2Charge). That said, my phone is typically off. I use a GPS while riding. Battery powered taillights (two lights, each has a pair of AAA batteries), headlamp for my head (one AA battery), and a camera (Li Ion camera batteries). I carry a AA/AAA NiMH rechargeable battery charger when touring, charge things up with a power with a pass through power bank. And use a Li Ion battery charger for my camera batteries from the pass through battery pack.

If you are a power user, phone always on, etc., you may need more power than those of us making suggestions here.