TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,328 Times in 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
My idea of hell is time on an indoor bike trainer. Some people love it, weirdos. I do maybe 6 times in the winter when it's simply not possible to ride outside. Fortunately I live where we get little rain and snow. So, most days I can ride. A cold day is around 30 F. So, again mild compared to what many have for winter.

I find it mind numbingly boring. I've tried several of the apps and Zwift was the best for me. I try to find the most complicated training workout I can, just to give me something to do. I don't find anything immersive in any of these apps. I don't socialize on it. And frankly I have no idea how these people seem to be carrying on text conversations.

I may give some of the racing a try this winter. That I'm sure would keep me interested.

Even for as little as I ride indoors, I still find the Wahoo fan really nice. It's much better than a standard room fan. The airflow is very narrow and therefore you get some nice air speeds. While it can speed up and down to mimic changes in riding speed, I just set it on high for max cooling. But I make use of the fan after my summer outdoor rides as it's in the same room I strip out of my cycling kit. Nice breeze to cool and dry me off.

I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap, which is a wheel-on type trainer. I would definitely get a direct drive if I had it to do over.

I have a buddy that when he was young, he and a friend would compete to see who could ride longest in a total dark garage, with no music or other sound. Sort of sensory deprivation riding. I think he said their record was in the hour range.
Have you tried using an old-school wheel on trainer with no modern apps? That is a lower-depths of hell situation by comparison. A modern direct drive smart trainer with Zwift should certainly be considered purgatory by comparison, at the worst. The feel is so much better.
Likes For TMonk: