Old 09-19-23, 09:02 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
You misunderstood why I was asking that question. That was probably because I misunderstood how the Looney Bin cage is to be mounted.

Here's a picture of the entire Looney Bin in which I labelled the visible holes from 1 to 4.

I was under the impression that you might have one of two choices for mounting the Looney Bin, using either holes 1 and 3 or holes 2 and 4.

I had doubts that you might get back to me on this so I considered how I might figure this out having only this photo.

I then realized that everything should be in proportion. What I worked out is that the distance between holes 1 and 4 is twelve times the width of the holes.

But the holes need to accommodate an M5 screw and so would be slightly larger than 5mm. My best guess would be 5.3mm

12 x 5.3mm = 63.6mm which is very close to 2.5" which is the distance between cage mounts.

There is no alternative mounting. My bad.

And this is one way to overthink about mounting a bottle cage under the downtube.
You are way over thinking this. Stop!

This bottle cage mounts just like any other cage, except it gives you two locations so you can move the cage higher or lower depending on your needs. If you use hole number 4, then you use hole number 2, those two will allow you to mount the cage to your frame; or, if you use hole number 3, then you use hole number 1 to mount the cage to the frame. This is a hell of lot easier than fixing a flat, does it take you three days to fix a flat?