Old 09-20-23, 11:22 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have been using bikes with QRs since they were on the market, and I have been riding my QR/disc Fuji since 2017.

I have never lost a wheel or had wobble due to improperly adjusted qr skewers, because ... well they are simpler than tying shoes. something I learned to do while I was on training wheels (and which no one does any more in this Velcro Age ... maybe there is a correlation?) I have had to carefully reinstall the wheels on my Fuji every time I have removed them. Sometimes they fall right back into place, sometimes they are off by half a millimeter ... but that is enough to cause brake drag.

True.

Even before disk brakes you had to be careful when installing a wheel. Sometimes the dropouts wouldn't be on the axle on one side (or the wheel could be off-center from the axle itself, with more of the axle projecting from one side of the wheel than the other), or the wheel wouldn't be exactly centered and would drag on one brake pad, or the wheel would be cockeyed and would drag on one side, etc.

Disk brakes may be slightly more sensitive to this - which is debatable, because the rim is further from the axle so if not seated properly the rim would be further from the "ideal" position than a disk rotor would be. The tolerances for disk brakes are tighter, but I like to run my rim pads pretty close to the rim, and as just stated the magnitude of the deviation is greatest at the rim.

In any case, attention/care has always been required when installing a wheel.
Likes For noimagination: