View Single Post
Old 09-20-23, 03:26 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_tom
Wow, I've never seen this thread quiet for so long. You can hear the crickets...

Is no one riding?

Here's my excuse: travel followed by COVID (acquired while travelling). My wife tested positive first, then I did a few days after we returned home.
This was the first time for both of us. My symptoms were relatively mild, and after a course of paxlovid, I feel fine now
Originally Posted by bike_tom
I hope the rest of you who typically post here are doing well.
I am, and glad to hear you are on the mend. My wife has caught some kind of bug (not that one, we tested) that's been making her feverish and miserable since last night.

I haven't been riding much but yesterday I actually got the urge to see something other than the BFRT, tossed the Dawes in the trunk, and headed to Bedford for the Narrow Gauge trail. I parked at Fawn Lake and headed south, and when I got to Depot Park, decided to finally explore the MM. Not sure how far I got, somewhere just past Route 4 in Lexington, I think. It was late afternoon and I was taking it easy on the unfamiliar (to me) trail, so there were plenty of commuters passing me. I was actually glad to leave both the speeding crowds and the root damage behind when I got back to the depot.

Of course, the NGRT had its own share of issues from this rainy summer. Not a lot of actual washed-outs ruts but it felt very loose, particularly near the VA facility. Standing and seeping water there, too.

I got back to my car with plenty of time to spare and so decided to keep rolling into Billerica. Some more wet trail, and a deep, muddy, unavoidable puddle of maybe 60 feet near the gate, but most of it was fine, and of course I encountered just a few other users.

Packed up the bike and decided to stroll to the water's edge. Moments later, a heron landed on the opposite shore, too far off for a picture.

Altogether only about 13 easy miles, but a welcome workout for my reflexes and sense of balance on the loose stuff.
Likes For EVlove: