Old 09-21-23, 09:48 AM
DiTBho

Bikes: Moser Forma/Campagnolo 8sp, Litespeed Classic/Campagnolo 8sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
think taking measurements during the shift process will catch certain dynamics in the process of shifting. There may be some amount of momentary overshifting before it settles into its final position. This overshifting may be designed in the the indexing system and may differ for high/low gear combinations.
this is precisely another doubt I had. I made approximate measurements in static conditions, that is, I put a marker on the cable, a mark point on the frame, a mark point on the cable near, removed the wheel, and shifted forward one position, from cog1 up, and measured. This is for all 8 positions.

Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
Of course this would a higher level of instrumentation as time intervals are sub-second with cable and RD sub mm. With type of measurements needed doing a GR&R would be required.
I am specifically thinking of creating a dynamic test bench, i.e. with a pulley in place of the left crank, so as to be able to simulate the gear change during a pedal stroke, even if in ideal conditions, i.e. without considering the weight force, and possibly its component along an inclined plane during climbs.

(although you should NEVER change uphill)

The software and hardware part is not a problem, it's my job, the real problem is finding sensors that don't cost a fortune, and then pair everything up, the mechanical part isn't my thing.