View Single Post
Old 09-25-23, 11:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked 4,322 Times in 2,421 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am in Tallahassee so it is more like SW Georgia than the rest of Florida, but no there arent any rocks to speak of. What there are is lots of treees, roots, ruts, and llittle ledges. It is mostly hard packed sand some of it with loose sand on top. The hard packed sand can be almost like sandstone so the ruts and ledges can be almost like rock, Tallahassee has lots of short, but surprisingly steep hills. It is much better in that regard than you'd expect for Florida. Some of the trails are tight and twisty where you have to really work you way through to not get the bars hung and crash. We don't have any mud so it is quite different from the riding I am used to when I was riding in MD, PA, VA, and WV where mud was ubiquitois much of the year. That and the lack of rocks means the area has its own different set of riding challenges.

I have ridden MTB in various parts of the country and enjoyed all of the riding whether it was Snowshoe WV, Moab UT, Tahoe, NV, or even Tallahassee. Some of it was world class stuff and some not, but it was all fun. Tallahassee is way better than I expected when I moved here. That is true of both the roads and the trails.
I was yanking your Florida chain. I’ve ridden some in New England and I’m not a fan of roots and wet. Give me dry rocks any day.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!