Old 09-28-23, 12:44 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 1,946 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
When I saw the "INEXTERNAL" tubing decal i thought "hang on that's a Motobecane" and the higher end version that used Columbus tubing with that short-lived brazing technique...but turns out it's a bit of that and something more:
"In 1985 or thereabouts Mongoose (yes, the BMX company) decided they’d test the market for road bikes, and they were able to convince the venerable French concern MBK (previously Motobecane, bankrupt in 1981 and resurrected in 1984) to produce these bicycles for them. $399.00 brand-new. It was favorably reviewed in the cycling press, but never caught on."
They pop up here in the LA area sporadically, I stumbled on the these bikes a few years ago, I have posted a few here. Keep thinking I am going to pick one up but haven't yet. Love the idea of a Columbus road bike with a BMX headbadge