Old 03-16-06, 11:20 AM
ventolin
cone wrench carpal tunnel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavernmech
Ahhh... Johnny Buoco. He has been around forever. He has some really sweet stuff in there but I too find it over priced. On top of that the guy is a pain in the arse to deal with. A few years back I was poking around in there and saw a 70'sish chrome track bike hanging up. It was a french bike I think. A decent frame....nothing special...Maillard hubs...Stronglight cranks. He wanted $1000! for it. I laughed my way out the door. As I was walking out I witnessed him charge a lady and her child $10 to put air in the kids tires. Some are of the opinion it is some kind of Mafia front as he never seems to want to sell anything.

Heh - yeah, when I was in there he was quoting me a price in the $800-$900 for a used but decent rossin track frame & fork, which seemed a bit steep.

He definitely didn't seem like selling stuff was a big priority, and I couldn't really gauge if it was because he just likes his bikes and can't bear to part with them, or if he's just unable to charge anything but the going price in the 80s. Which is kind-of why I was wondering if he'd keen-up to a trade, and if he'd give me good value for my frame, or just try to fleece me.

P.S. Cavernmech - you built that yellow wheel on the Ciocc for me, and It's the best wheel I've ever owned... absolutely atom-bomb-proof. I learned to build wheels after that, and it's been my reference wheel for figuring out spoke tension since I can't afford a tensiometer.... *pluck.... RIIIIINGGGGG*