cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Obviously as we age, our physiological limits decrease. However, for the vast majority of us, we operate so far below our maximum theoretical capability, we can still get faster, stronger by capturing a greater percentage of maximum capacity.
Broke my PR today for Elk Mountain Scenic Highway by a minute and a half. At 64, I’m breaking PR’s frequently, and am climbing about as fast as I ever have. The data shows that I’m faster at 64 than 50. I don’t have data from my 20’s and 30’s, but I’d bet my 30 year old self was a bit faster sprinter, but I could kick his butt on a very long ride with sustained climbs.
My times in an absolute sense are pedestrian, but in a relative sense, with more time to train, and diligently following a training plan, I’m still getting faster.
With the tools and knowledge we now have, it’s definitely possible to continue to get faster, at an age our parents were retiring to their rocking chairs.
All a matter of personal perspective, and timing...
Not to discourage, but aging is inevitable. Looking to max what one has, at any time, laudable and a positive way forward.
But slowing down is inevitable.
I'm much 'slower' than I was 10 yrs ago, and at that time slower than before that...
But that's OK! It's not a total collapse or surrender to the inevitable. It is still 'pushing boundaries' (personal). At the same time as loving every moment.
I think my level of 'Appreciation' & 'Love' is way higher than it's been at any point in my past.
I appreciate my past achievements and at the same time explore who I am, now.
But do 'keep pushing', the worth is in the effort as much, if not more, than the result.
Ride On
Yuri