Thread: Schwinns!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-23, 04:03 PM
DesmoDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I've already forgotten what year this is. Late '50s I think. It needs a seat (which is too high in these pics) but is for the most part "done". I thought abotu restoring it but decided to just rebuild it instead.

It's got the early style decals on it.

After doing this I got a 1962 frame in the next size up which should fit me better. The problem is it's a single speed frame, I haven't decided what I'll do with it yet. Single speed? Two speed kickback? Mod the frame for an IGH hub, or just clamp on some cable stops? Time will tell, I've got a bunch of other projects to get through before that one.

I'll probably put the early graphcs on it too, they're more fun to me.

I have a "Schwinn" cruiser that I bought just to see what a $200 bike was like. Ended up being pleasantly surprised, after rebuilding the entire thing when assembling it from new it worked ok. But then project creep took hold and now it has a 5 speed Sturmey hub with a bunch of other upgrades. It has more than the purchase price in mods now...

And then there was the night I was headed to dinner and saw a Typhoon frame out with the trash. Can't let that happen, I was going to use a Typhoon frame for the base of the bike above but the money didn't make sense... Anyway, I rescued it and built it up in about four different configurations before riding it. Now it looks mostly like this.

It's got a two speed kick back hub at the moment... but that could change.

And then there's this - a Breeze Deluxe. I have to admit, I bought it for the hub (that went into the Typhoon). I got the bike for less than the bare hubs sell for. I thought I'd put it back togther as a three speed for my wife but it's lost a bunch of parts to various projects now so it may or may not ever get done.

Yeah, not the best pics but you get the idea. I worked in a Schwinn shop for about ten years in the '70s/'80s and like the old stuff.
Likes For DesmoDog: