View Single Post
Old 09-30-23, 09:21 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
​​Let me put it this way; one of my hobbies has always been to monetize my hobbies. I'm a full time systems engineer and still find time to monetize my orchard, selling plants, and foraging for fun and profit. Looking at my tally between that and other stuff I'm $3,965 for the year. That is the tally after expenses.
You talk about “running a business” people are going to think you are interested in making “enough” of a profit to be “worthwhile”.

What you want to do is quite unusual, which is fine. But, because of that, it’s not going to make much sense to most people. But, because of that, people are going to have issues with providing the answers you want.

Anyway, you already have the answer.

It’s something you want to do, you can afford it, it doesn’t have to make money, and you can easily roll it back.

Do it.

======================

The number of people who specifically want to rent random old bicycles (“vintage” is a euphemism) is likely tiny. The number of people wound want to go all the way to Alaska to do that is likely a small fraction that number. Many of these people might not be encouraged by it being somebody’s hobby that doesn’t have to succeed.

Most people who are taking trips to Alaska are either going to bring their own equipment (it’s a known element they may have spent years optimizating) or be more assured by renting modern equipment (even if they use a “vintage” bike at home).

I don’t think this market is a “thing”.

======================

There are certainly places that “rent what they have” (I have used these a few times). But they seem to not quite be so specific. They “work” (I suppose) because they are the only option rather than people seeking out “old bikes to ride”.

You might be able to do this (since being “successful” isn’t a requirement) but it’s somewhat different than what you asked about).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-30-23 at 09:56 AM.