Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Please post a link to your MySpace page.

Seriously…I map on RWGPS and type paper cue sheets. Helps me internalize the route.

On rare occasions, I will make a mistake, like indicating a left rather than a right. While on tour in 2017 I ran into a couple in Wallace, ID who had done poor planning and only had a high level map. One of my cue sheets was helpful to them, so I gave it to them. (I had extras.) Before I did, I noticed a mistake and corrected it with a pen. I think that made them wary. Sometimes wonder if they made it to Glacier N.P.
Using RWGPS, download the CSV file, open it in a spreadsheet. Change the distance number property to 10ths not 100ths. Copy, open it in a word processor and create a table. Once you figure out how to make it look the way you want, save it and then reopen, getting rid of all the data, saving only the format as a template.

After creating or before using someone else's route, I run the RWGPS Review Cues tool on it. I can never believe how many errors people make on their RWGPS routes - which can totally mess you up if you're using a device. I think the commonest error is viewing the route too zoomed out and putting control points off to one side, thus creating extra false cues. I never use a route I haven't corrected.