Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 835 Posts
What Is Wrong With People?

Well, after being out in Colorado and enjoying off road bicycling for a while, I am back in the concrete jungle where there are people who are painfully dumb, and lots of them. I didn't get out of the neighborhood today before someone went full tilt dipstick.

I was southbound on Houma approaching the Airline Highway intersection. Light traffic as there always is early in the morning. Houma is a 20 MPH residential road. I was going very close to 20, as there was a good tailwind. I was aware that there was a vehicle closing in on me from behind. Based on my speed and the closing rate, they were doing about 30. As I came to the stop line at the intersection, the traffic light was red, so I stopped center lane at the stop line. The idiot in the car stopped beside me in the wrong lane.

I looked over and asked WTF he was doing. To my surprise, he rolled down his window and explained that he was going to take a right. There was some traffic on Airline, so I was hoping that none of them would turn down Houma. I'd end up being the sacrificial lamb on that scenario. I asked WTF he would do if I was in a car. He sat there crossed eyed, drooling and dumbfounded. I told the idiot to get behind me and I'd scoot a little left to give him room to take a right. I almost always do that when I know that someone is turning.

Encountering a bicyclist is such an emotionally traumatic experience for some people that they just lose the ability to think rationally.