View Single Post
Old 10-02-23, 09:31 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
As you noted, it may be partly tradition as the ride organizers do generally promote the idea of being independent and able to figure things out ... like finding your way around,
This is fine but it's not an argument that "cue sheets are better".

Anyway, cue sheets are a poor way of "finding your way around". If you go off course with a cue sheet, your only "pure" option is to back track.

Part of this "tradition" is the challenge of using cue sheets (and being able to meet the challenge as people before you did).

But some of the roads are pretty sketchy so probably the cue sheet at least as an alternative is probably a good idea (they don't mark the turns on the roads like many group/charity rides).
Being "pretty sketchy" seem like a case where GPS would be much better than a cue sheet. I wonder if the people having "issues" with GPSs aren't looking at the map. I don't rely on the pop-up turn instructions.

You don't need turns arrows if you are using GPS. GPS users generally have lots of experience getting around without turn markings. Looking for turn-markings when using a GPS is more work. These markings also have the same problem as cue sheets if you get off course.

The turn-markings are more for people who don't have GPS or can't read a cue sheet (likely the case for many charity ride participants).

Full disclosure, while I don't have a bike gps, I would download an offline map of the area and, if I was confused on the timing to make a turn, would zero in on my current location to see if I appeared to be on track. At least for the times I used the off-line maps, I was able to confirm my location.
You should, of course, realize that this is exactly what the GPS would be doing for you.

I recommended doing this earlier. Even if one is using a GPS. It's so cheap and easy to do!

----------------------------------------

Note that I don't care what people use. It's just some people keep promoting incorrect BS about using GPS.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-02-23 at 10:01 AM.