View Single Post
Old 10-02-23, 10:38 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Reading cue sheets hasn’t killed me yet, including during my nearly 4 month tour, although I did get off course a total of 3 times.
No one is really suggesting that using cue sheets will kill anybody. (The "fatal flaw" was referring to killing cue sheets, not the person using them.)

Baggie keeps them dry.
This doesn't always work that well.

(Does one not have to keeps an electronic gizmo dry?)
(This pretty much indicates you have no idea about what these things are.)

The GPS devices used for cycling/outdoor use are designed to tolerate getting fairly wet. This has been the case "forever".

They don’t need charging either. And with no electrical components, there is less to go wrong.
Sure but this isn't a problem to the degree you are suggesting. Nothing is perfect. You are also likely using a cycle computer for distances, which is an electrical device.

Charging is an extra complication (it's not really much a problem when it's dry). But people using them deal with it because the benefits outweigh it.

I was significantly faster on randonees using a GPS than cue sheets.

Reading cue sheets at night requires two "electric" devices (some sort of light and the cycle computer).

Including legs between turns, doing some simple math and paying attention helps you not miss turns.
GPS units make it easier to anticipate turns and recover from missing turns as well as making the turns.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-02-23 at 10:54 AM.