Old 10-07-23, 07:18 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
So, if you are hit by a car and end up in a deep ditch with a broken pelvis or leg, cannot move and no one can see you, how will you communicate with the outside world? Or is that an unrealistic scenario?
I think back and not all that many years ago carrying a phone wasn't an option. In my 60 some years of riding I have never been in a situation where having a phone with me was life or death. Much of my riding and other outdoor activity has been off road where there wouldn't have been a signal any way. So relying on a phone other than maybe a sat phone would have been a bad idea if I really thought I had a life or death need for one. I have considered a Garmin InReach or similar, but have never made the purchase mostly due to my distain for the monthly fees.

On the other hand... I don't see much or any downside to having a phone along. Having it as a camera, navigation device, or fitness data collection device would each individually be justification for me. Pairing it with my garmin watch enhabces some of the phone's uses as well. The biggest reason I carry mine... it gives my wife some, perhaps false, sense of security .

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-07-23 at 08:22 AM.