Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
​​​​​​
I used to think flat bars were better <snipe>
​​
​​​​​
They are "better" for certain reasons.

My tool collection doesn't consist of 1 claw hammer. I've a framing hammer, a finish hammer, multiple mini sledge , different weights, multiple ball peens hammers different weights, a leather hammer, a dead blow hammer, a brass hammer, a plastic tip hammer.

But seriously why even own a hammer if I can simply smash things with a ratchet.

Bicycles are tools. Use the correct one for the job, not the one that is trending at the moment.

Most of us have compromised. Like the guy that tours once a year, but then rides his LHT (unloaded) the rest of the year. I personally would dislike riding an unloaded touring bike. I'd love to own and ride a Kona sultra LtD, if it was offered in a lighter version.
Same as with the niner air one 9 rigid, if it was slacked out a bit more.
Do we really need 12 speed cassettes and then do stupid stuff to fix the chain line issues? No we dont. Except we have an industry that creates a demand for 12 speeds.
My x7/x9 combo 2x10 was flawless, dependable and durable. Now Sram has issues! Not durable, not dependable, super flaky with cable tension. But it's the standard they push. So is 12 speed better. In some ways yes, in many ways it isn't. On a whole I don't think the better side of it out weighs the bad side of it. Not on a mtb anyways.
I've ridden all over CO rockies on a 32t 11-36, 1x10 hardtail. I was wanting a slacker hardtail years before the industry offered it. Now the industry pushes it. To the extreme even, now we just twiddle our thumbs until they come to their senses and find the middle ground. Some manufactures will, some never will.
Now they will try and push the 750 wheel size.

The 650b craze hit. They pushed the "it's better",but it wasn't good enough. So they made biggerc650b, until they got sluggish, so now its back to 29 and 2.4 /2.6. They yoyo.
And use shills like bike radar, bike rumor to push the new stuff regardless of it being good or bad.

99 out of 100 people buying bikes don't even know what they are buying outside of it have 2 wheels.

Kind of like your version of better. You thought it was one thing, then thought it was another thing.

Your "better", along with many other peoples version is fluid.

While some of us, don't see it that way.

Its the world we live in.

I want is my 1990s rigid flat bar fitness/hybrid. But with disc brakes, clearance for 29x 2.4. 20 -22 lbs. And a bit of a slack HA.

People buy Walmart bikes, then they don't ride them. Not very enjoyable, lots of energy spent to go nowhere. Apply the same thing to current hybrid/fitness bikes. If people on current hybrids road a high end hybrid, they'd probably ride a lot more than they do.

Well that was true 3.5 years ago.

The industry can't even push entry level budget bicycles right now. The industry is in trouble with this economy. They are sitting on heaps of bikes they cant move.
The people want electric with throttles, food delivered to them, and a weekly allowance.
It is "better" though...

Last edited by Metieval; 10-08-23 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For Metieval: