View Single Post
Old 10-09-23, 10:45 AM
2WheelWilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Bike Fitter in Boston?

I have two questions about bike fitting, actually. The first is: is there a Boston-based bike fitter you'd recommend? I've had mixed experiences going into the bigger shops (Landry's, Wheelworks) in the area so I thought I'd be better off with a recommendation.

Second: does it make sense to get a fitting *before* buying a bike, or should I be waiting until after? I'm making my first bike purchase in a very long time and, because I prefer some of the more unique brands that are out of my budget new, I'm scouring the used market. I understand, however, that fit is the single most important consideration. The problem is, I don't know how to judge whether a given bike on facebook marketplace or ebay or craigslist will fit me well. (In fact, I don't know how to judge whether *any* bike will fit me well.) Is this something a fitter would help with? Or am I better off just looking for a frame size that's generally prescribed by my height (5'8", so maybe 54cm or a "medium"?) and then waiting until *after* I've made my purchase to do a fit? I've been riding an inherited 50-year-old French roadbike for the last fifteen years or so (maybe it's a little too big for me?) so I don't have a lot of experience judging different fits. (Oh, and my main biking activities are commuting, loaded touring on predominately but not exclusively pavement, and occasional day rides with friends.)

Thanks for any advice!