View Single Post
Old 10-13-23, 12:29 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I haven't posted for a while, but I thought I would chime in. Except for the external spline in the pic in the first post, and the 74xx, Shimano internal splines were the same for older 8-10 speed freehub bodies.

There are basic differences, the first is the flange thickness. Shimano made a shallow and deep flange and the depth of the recess on the aluminum freehub. The lower right is a freehun body for an FH- 6402

The second difference is the right cone and seal for the freehub body.

The issue that you might have is that your existing 6402 right cone and seal may not work on a 1056 "C". Generally the seal is a smaller diameter on a "C" freehub body. A 1056 "C" body is kind of an odd duck for the more common UG/HG 1056. On the expanded view above the cone and seals are not the same. I have a .pdf listing of Shimano Freehub Interchangeability and the 1056-C is not listed, but worse than that there is no listing for the Y31D98060 body, If you could identify a freehub that used the same you might be able to hunt down the cone and seal.

If you have not purchased that freehub body, don't buy it. A few years ago I went into the rabbit hole on 90's freehub swaps and got quite an education. I don't know all the swaps but if it were me I'd get a complete FH-5700 hub. You want a complete hub so you get the cone, seal and any spacers. I've done an interchange with a 1055, 6402, 5700 freehub bodies on different hubs.

John
Regarding the right side seal, the freehub body labeled 1056-C should work fine for a FH-6402. Having worked with the 1056-C body quite a few times, there should be no problem with using it as a replacement on the 6402. The seal is the type that is common for many of the nicer Shimano freehubs during the 7 & 8 speed era. The seal type changed for many of the freehubs when Shimano went to 9 speed and 'improvements' were made to some of the seals.

See the example below. This was the 9 speed replacement for the 6402. The right side has the newer seal ring, and the left side has the older ring, (the same type as used in the 6402). This style was used for a few model from that time period. Later models, like the FH-5700 you mentioned had the seal rings integrated with the cone.