View Single Post
Old 10-15-23, 11:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 3,163 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've often wondered about this too. It seems a bit odd.
The first titanium bikes were (generally) supplied with titanium forks, but they (again generally) were built with the same dimensions as steel forks and were found to be too flexible for the application. Ti stems and handlebars developed a similar reputation, which is one reason you so seldom see either.

By the time Ti frame builders figured out that the dimensions of the Ti tubing for forks (as well as frames) could be manipulated to achieve sufficient stiffness, carbon forks had come into general acceptance for bike frames built with steel and aluminum as well as carbon.

After all, supplying carbon forks with their Ti frames represented an easy profit while saving hours of work in building a Ti fork that would necessarily cost more and weigh more.

By the way, I've never noticed any difference in shock absorption or comfort among the forks on my bikes, including steel, carbon, and aluminum forks---no difference that can't be attributed to to differences in wheelbase, anyway. If anyone can link to a pertinent report or a video supporting the claim that carbon forks are built to be more shock-absorptive than forks built from other materials, I'd love to see the evidence.